As the approaching holiday season, Thanksgiving – New Year’s, kicks off, Rochester Police would like to remind everyone to take the necessary steps toward making this holiday season a safe one. The holidays are a special time for every community, and it’s more important than ever to stress the importance of safe driving habits. It’s our greatest hope that our community members make it to their holiday destinations as safely as possible. This hope is not just for drivers, but also passengers, pedestrians and everyone utilizing public roadways and sidewalks this holiday season.
To better assist the community in getting to their destinations safely, Rochester Police offer the following tips:
- Never Drink and Drive!
- Plan ahead. If you know there is a good chance you will be drinking, plan ahead by carpooling, ensuring a sober party will be available to drive you home or utilize a taxi or public transportation. If you have been drinking, call friend or family member to come pick you up or catch a ride with someone you know that has not been drinking.
- Buckle Up!
- Have your car serviced to help prevent issues during cold and/or inclement weather
- Wear proper clothing and footwear for warmth, visibility and traction.
- Utilize crosswalks, sidewalks and well lit areas for pedestrian travel.
- Encourage friends or family members that have been drinking to follow the above rules as well.
- Call Police if you suspect someone is driving impaired. Your call could save a life!
The Holiday season can be a joyous time of year, so do your part to ensure it is a safe one too.