Over the past two months, Rochester Police have taken reports on close to a dozen cases involving counterfeit money of varying denominations . As a result, Police would like to caution businesses and resident’s to pay close attention to the money they are handling and exchanging. If you are a Rochester business or resident in possession of any money you feel may be counterfeit, please make a report with the Police Department and don’t attempt to re-circulate the counterfeit money. To help in identifying possible counterfeit bills, Rochester Police offer the following tips:
- Feel the paper. The paper should feel a little rough and not perfectly smooth
- Tilt the bill at different angles to look at the different colors on the bill as well as the security features
- Check with bill with a light. Look at security features such as watermarks and security threads
- Use a counterfeit detection device, uv light or pen
- Look over the words on the bill. Some counterfeit bills have “Motion Picture Only”, “Replica”, “Copy”, foreign symbols or writing or other clear indications the bill is not real.
- Check and compare serial numbers if receiving multiple bills to make sure they do not match
- Be cautious of any large bill being passed for an inexpensive item.
- Remember, counterfeit bills can come in any denomination, not just large bills.
- Call the Police with any questions/concerns