Interested in Becoming a Police Officer?
Click here to contact the Training and Recruiting office for further information on current job opportunities.
Thank you very much for your interest in the Rochester Police Department. We feel you have selected one of the finest and progressive law enforcement agencies in the State of New Hampshire. Our department motto of “Dedication, Pride, Integrity” truly characterizes our relentless strides for professionalism by seeking out the best candidates for the appointment of police officer representing the City of Rochester. In order to be considered for an appointment as a police officer, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a United States citizen;
- Must be 20 years of age or older at the time of application;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate;
- Must have 30 college credits or full time police certification from any state at the time of application;
- Must have taken a written examination administered through Great Bay Community College (GBCC) or the New Hampshire Technical Institute (NHTI) and score a minimum of 70% on the cognitive portion. Current test dates can be found by clicking here.
- If you are a full time certified law enforcement officer, you have received an associates, bachelors, and/or master’s degree from an accredited college/university or have honorably served in any branch of the United States military, the written examination can be waived;
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of a police officer including passing a physical fitness/agility examination;
- Must be able to relocate/reside within a 25 mile radius of Rochester (Per Department Policy).
Upon passing the physical fitness/agility examination, each candidate will get an invitation to an oral board interview before a selected group of members from the Rochester Police Department. The oral board interview is scored 0 to 70. Any score 36 and higher is considered passing and may be invited to an interview before the Rochester Police Commission (dependent upon overall ranking). Upon review and evaluation of all components of our testing process, each successful candidate will then undergo a thorough background investigation, pre-employment polygraph, psychological, and medical examination (to include a drug screen).
***In accordance to the rules and policies of the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training Council, no applicant can be certified as a full time law enforcement officer if they have:
Used any controlled substance/illicit drugs other than marijuana within 36 months at the time of application;
- Used marijuana within 12 months at the time of application;
- Illegally manufactured, transported for sale, or sold a controlled substance/illicit drug.
If you feel you meet or can meet this criteria, We invite you to please forward a cover letter, current resume, and a completed City of Rochester, New Hampshire employment application. This application can be found online at www.rochesternh.net under “forms and documents.” Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our training coordinator at your convenience at (603) 330-7130 or click here.
The salary range adjusts annually on July 1st based on the Boston CPI with the 2019-2020 ranges listed below:
– Patrol officers and detectives is $49,097 – $69,923
– Sergeants $66,503 – 79,575
This excludes overtime or private details, is subject to change and is governed by a collective bargaining agreement.
0-5 years of service: 2 weeks per year accrued at .833 day/mo,
6-10 years of service: 3 weeks and 2 days per year accrued at 1.417 days per month
11-20 years of service: 4 weeks per year accrued at 1.667 days per month
Eleven paid days per calendar year.
One day per month, accumulative to 110 days.
Family sick days, three per year (non-cumulative).
Available in lieu of overtime pay in certain circumstances. Officers are also eligible for a “90-Day Comp Day”, which are awarded for 90 consecutive days of no sick time usage.
Medical, Dental, Life, Disability, and AFLAC are all available to employees at various costs.
NH Retirement System
New Hampshire Police Association
Rochester Police Benevolent Association